Pages

Thursday, August 27, 2009

MATH

I need to finish my math requirements to move on with my degree. I am stuck because at Sinclair Community College math department they require you to buy and use MYMATHLAB which last I checked only worked in Windows in IE. I do not use Windows, I use Linux, but; what is annoying to me is that I believe most of the technology used in MYMATHLAB is java and flash. So their proprietary plug in is used for login's I would guess maybe server connection. I wonder why they would not just use SSO. There is no reason I can see why they have choose to be OS dependent(other than money). Java and Flash work in most modern browsers, Firefox works on Windows, Linux and Mac. I think it is even more annoying to me because it is a community college who gets funding from taxes, they should strive to to be accessible. Using software that is OS dependent when it is not needed is wrong. If you are in a degree program that has an industry standard then you may end up having to use one platform or another. What I am talking about is elementary math, math at this level is not dependent on anything, but; pencil and paper. This has been a huge road block to me I guess I will have to move on and find another way to fulfill the math requirements needed. I am sure my college will not change their ways.