Pages

Tuesday, February 9, 2010

A search engine, Greasemonkey script and a podcast aggregator

I have been trying a different search engine. It is ixquick, the search results have been good, better than I have experienced with Yahoo not as good as Google. I  like that they do not record your IP address when you make search queries. A quote from their site

"Every time you use a regular search engine, your search data is recorded. Your search terms, the time of your visit, the links you choose, your IP address and your User ID cookies all get stored in a database."

Not that this will make a major difference in the trail I leave on the Internet, because as soon as I choose one  of the search results my local ISP will record that address. As much as anything I like trying new things and different technologies.

A script I use in Firefox with the Greasemonkey addon is Fbpurity. I really like this script for Facebook because it blocks every post about other peoples exploits in all the different Apps like Farmville or Mafia Wars ,which I have lost hours to. Sorry guys don't want to hear about how you mounted your pig, or how you gibbed Jimmy Mobs now you are a death soldier level 582. I do like to see about how well everyone is doing and some of the banter that goes on.

One of my favorite applications is Gpodder, it is a podcast aggregator, the Devs just continue to make it better. Two of my favorite options are, if a podcast is downloading and I need to turn off or suspend my computer it will resume the download from where it left off. There is a online backup account for your subscription list, which is great if you do a fresh install of Gpodder just log in and it uploads your subscriptions. It is just solid piece of software.