Pages

Sunday, May 30, 2010

Installing Shotwell 0.5.9.0 in Mint 9

I decided to try Shotwell for Photo management, I installed the version in the software channel. Unfortunately it does not support reading RAW files. A little reading on the Ubuntu forums I found installing the svn version supported RAW files. So the fun began,I followed these directions. I downloaded the svn from svn co svn://svn.yorba.org/shotwell/trunk shotwell

then I installed the dependencies

  sudo apt-get install libdbus-glib-1-dev libgconf2-dev libgtk2.0-dev libgudev-1.0-dev libexif-dev libgphoto2-2-dev libsoup2.4-dev libsqlite3-dev libunique-dev libwebkit-dev valac libgee-dev  libxml2-dev.

 I also needed sudo apt-get install libexiv2-dev, downloaded a .deb of   libraw-dev and gexiv2 from a svn. I downloaded gexiv, shotwell and libraw-dev_0.9.0-0ubuntu1_i386 in my home directory. So I opened a terminal


$ sudo dpkg -i libraw-dev_0.9.0-0ubuntu1_i386

after it installed

$ cd gexiv2

now I did

./configure
$ make
$ sudo make install


after install

$ cd

then

$ cd shotwell


./configure
$ make
$ sudo make install



during the make install of Shotwell it gave an error "cannot touch `locale-langpack/.langstamp': No such file or directory"


during the make process the "locale-langpak" was not created. 


I had first tried a make install of version 0.5.2, so I was able to compare the directories of Shotwell 0.5.2. to 0.5.9, I saw the locale-langpak in 0.5.2. So I just copied it over to 0.5.9 and ran make install again . It gave a couple of errors that I was missing a few directories in the locale-langpak directory.  so I created a them using the sub directories of 
 locale-langpak/.langstamp/cs/LC_MESSAGES/shotwell.mo
This was a duct tape way to fix it, I figured what did I have to lose. At this point it was not installing anyhow. After I created the subdirectories I ran  


$ sudo make install 




and that did for me.  I have to say that I do like Shotwell and am excited to see it developed further.