Pages

Sunday, September 26, 2010

Little Tweaks

  1. IPv6 has caused issues with web browsing in Fedora for me even Google chrome was Slooooow ! so I issued the commands below and that took care of it chrome was back to its expected speed and so was Firefox. I know IPv6 is coming  until then I will use this.


  • "install ipv6 /bin/true\nblacklist ipv6" > /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist-ipv6.conf

  • service ip6tables stop

  • chkconfig ip6tables off

 2. I added my back up script to crontab

  • crontab -e 
added this line it will run on the 1rst and 15th of every month at 12Noon
  •  0 12 1,15 * * backup.sh
3. I have a few little tweaks using Gconf-editor
  • In Fedora I have to install Gconf-Editor
  • Under metacity
    • I change the apps/metacity/general/action_double_click_titlebar to shade
    • Metacity composting_manager on
    •  Alt+H to Minimize Window
    • run_command_terminal Crtl+Kp_Page_Down(number 3 on number pad)
      • set Terminator as default terminal
  • Under Nautilus
    • uncheck any visible desktop icons
    • click_policy single
    • media_automount_open off
  • I use the default Gnome Menu I turn on the menu icons
    • "desktop>gnome>interface>menus_have_icons"  on
 4. A few Network tweaks
  • Set static network address 
  • Install ssh meta package and sshfs
    • Tweak ssh config files
  • Install Samba meta package
    • Tweak smb.conf
  • Tweak SELinux configuration
    • allow DNS and Multi-DNS
    • allow Samba
 I intend to set most of these tweaks with a script, but; that is on my long list.