Pages

Tuesday, November 9, 2010

BOINC and Web(Dog) Cam Server.

I had an old DELL Dimension lying around so I decided to make it a dedicated Rosetta@Home machine. I installed Linux Mint 9 LXDE for two reasons were I am comfortable with the distro, two because I planned on using Wifi to connect. I thought my RNX-N100 would just work, not the case.

The Wifi adapter worked with Ubuntu 9.04 kernel 2.6.28-11 and Arch Linux both recognized the Rosewill RNX-N100 and WPA2 worked out of the box. Using Mint 9 kernel 2.6.32-25-generic WPA2 did not work, WPA and WEP were fine. The solution was to install "linux-backports-modules-compat-wireless-2.6.34-2.6.32-25-generic" after that WPA2 was back up and running perfect.

Now it is running in our basement headless using Wifi, The thought came to me after it was down there, to connect my webcam up so we could see what the dogs were up to. I followed a lot from this post to get it up and running, plus surprisingly added some knowledge I have learned along the way. Now we can see the dogs through a web browser. This project inadvertanly lead me to set up a very basic web page. It has four links pointing to my Dog Cam, resume, Art and this blog.