Pages

Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Sansa Fuze+

I looked at quite a few music players to use with Linux, before purchasing this one. I had an older Fuze an a Iaudio7 and had a good experience with both. The Iaudio9 did not have enough disk space or expansion options. Plus the price was more than I wanted to spend.

So I purchased the Fuze+ it covered my wants and price.
* supports Linux as a mass storage device.
* supports .ogg vorbis
* 16 GB capacity
* has a micro sd expansion slot
I read in one forum that some where having problems with resuming podcast,  it plays podcast and resumes where I left off with no issues. So I think maybe since I updated the firmware this resolved that issue. I was glad to see they went to a micro usb connection instead of the old proprietary connection. It does not have folder navigation on this player like the old Fuze. I am never sure why companies take away simple functions like this when releasing a new model, hopefully they would add it again soon. Thinking it would have folder navigation I just copied all of my music over from the old player. That was a mistake come to find out a lot of my music was using a version of ID3 tags that were not compatible. So I had 550+ unknown artist, I would have never noticed if they would have implemented folder view. After searching a few forums I found the answer on the Sansa forums on how to correct the tags.
The tags have to be in this format:

  ID3v2.3 iso-8859-1


for album art I used

 300x300 pixels and name it folder.jpg

 I used Easytag to correct the tags, the tags were not updated in the player database. Ugh! I was ready to stomp this player, so some reading turned up an answer.  The easiest way to update the tags is to delete all files in the root of the player that start with

 STDB*


That did it finally it is running acceptablly, folder navigation will make it perfect for me. It has touch controls which I could car less about, I liked the scroll wheel better. Although that is what broke on my old player.I find myself punching at the screen quite often. I think if you are going to go with touch controls just go with a full screen touch.

I would have rather had an android based player. Unfortunately none of them came close to specs I was looking for, the closet player was the HTC Galaxy. Since the HTC is a phone that made it a no go. Archos players were next on the list , but; there capacity at the size I was looking at was unacceptable. Maybe next time Android see you in four years.